The Plataforma’s Manifesto
SOM EL 80 % (WE ARE THE 80 %)
Catalonia is undergoing one of the most complex periods in its recent history. The events that took place over the course of last year have aggravated the political and institutional crisis between Catalonia and the Spanish central government. And as in all mature societies, Catalonia included, this situation has and continues to generate multiple different perspectives.
However, a different opinion does not constitute a risk to coexistence, but the essential basis for guaranteeing it, provided there is respect for freedom of expression and democratic values.
We want to point out that a majority of the residents of Catalonia (nearly 80 %, according to polls and the results of the ballot box) enjoy a high level of agreement across the country. This unity in diversity is based on:
- The defence of essential democratic rights and freedoms.
- The rejection of repression and the use of the criminal judicial system as a tool to resolve political conflicts.
- The defence of a political solution that must always allow the residents of Catalonia to decide and democratically determine their political future.
Faced with the imminent trial of the social and political leaders of the sovereign movement in the Supreme Court, this is why the undersigned have joined the Plataforma Som el 80 % (We Are the 80 % Platform) and call on all of Catalan society to demand:
- The immediate release of the imprisoned social and political leaders of the sovereign movement of a lawsuit built on baseless accusations.
- Renunciation of the exceptional legal, criminal and procedural measures to put an end to political repression.
- The start of sincere negotiations for a real political solution, without conditions or renunciations.
Here and now, we are committed to denouncing the general argument against democracy that wants to keep a few people in prison to endanger the future of all the people of Catalonia. And we are committed to always making these denunciations civically and peacefully across all sectors of society.
Because our only argument is for democracy and freedom.
Appendix: principles or main messages of the platform, appended to the manifesto
A civic, non-partisan and cross-cutting civic society platform that:
- Reflects the 80 % of Catalan society that is against the political imprisonment and legal prosecution of cultural, social or political representatives like Jordi Cuixart, Oriol Junqueras, Jordi Sànchez, Carme Forcadell, Jordi Turull, Raül Romeva, Dolors Bassa, Josep Rull and Joaquim Forn. That is why it calls for their acquittal and immediate release.
- Is committed to negotiation as an essential tool for resolving political conflicts as part of democratic coexistence and the respect for plurality.
- Denounces the false and baseless charges of rebellion and violence pressed against these nine political prisoners and various political exiles, which entail their criminal prosecution for exercising fundamental rights and freedoms like the freedom of expression and the right of assembly and association.
- Denounces the disproportionate interpretation of the law and the demands for imprisonment made by both the state attorney and state prosecutor’s offices and the accusations made by the far right group VOX, as evidenced by the legal systems of Germany and Belgium and criticised by organisations such as Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch.
- Questions whether a fair trial is possible within a Spanish judicial system with certain highly politicised offices opposed to judicial independence, which defines the balance of powers in a democracy.
- Publicly assert that peaceful and democratic demonstrations and political dissidence cannot be criminalised in a democracy. In democracies, democracy cannot be prosecuted.